Friday, April 29, 2016

Granddaddy's Bible


It was passed on to me, my Granddaddy's Bible, but with it so much more.


For you see, I found a page in which my grandmother had taken the time to write something that has become as much a treasure to me as the worn burgundy KJV Bible itself.


On page 1734 where the book "Philippians 4" was printed on the left side of the page and the heading "Stand Fast" was printed on the right side, I found two verses where she had drawn a block with a blue ink pen. Above the block she scribbled with her 90 year old hand the words,

"Words that pastor felt Bro. Ralph would have said to the family."

If that wasn't enough to start my heart pumping I read the words that Paul wrote thousands of years ago, the words my granddaddy felt were so important.

"Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity," (Phil. 4:9, 10 KJV).

My granddaddy was a man of few words but he lived a godly life in front of us all. The things that I learned, received, heard and saw in him, I should do also. Yes, God's peace was with with Ralph Ligon King Sr., and he is right. If I will do as he did, God's peace will be with me too.

I have taken these words to heart, not just because they were highlighted, but because I know they worked in his life.

Though a man of few words, his testimony lives on in an old burgundy Bible and in his granddaughter's heart.



1 comment: