Monday, May 9, 2016

Basket of Contentment


I didn't see either coming, the bike with a wicker basket filled with fresh flowers and two loaves of bread or the feeling of discontentment.

I didn't wake up discontented.

I wasn't trying to find something to bring on the feeling of "this isn't what I want to be doing."


No, it rode across my heart as steady as the bike being pedaled by the young woman on the sidewalk before me.

How could I not notice her carefree posture with the wind blowing through her hair as she made her way home from shopping as I wrestled with my purse, lunch bag, and brief case getting into my car to go to my office. Nothing carefree about what I was doing.

Oh, to be her.

Oh, to have a cute white vintage bike and wicker basket.

Oh, to be riding on a bike outside instead of getting in my car to go to work.

Oh, to have those flowers in a pretty vase on my kitchen table as I slice the fresh bread and cover it with butter and jam.

Oh, to have a cute kitchen table.

Oh, oh, oh . . . my thoughts were spinning out of control like my tires were spinning out of my neighborhood.

"Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your  adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour" (I Peter 5:8 NASB).

Reality check.

I couldn't let the enemy take a beautiful morning in which I was going to my appointed place for the day devour me and suck me into discontentment. I may have been slow to catch on, but before I got to work I had realized what he was doing.

We must be sober, be alert, always walking close to the Lord so we can see the enemy and his schemes.

I may not have a bike with a basket full of fresh flowers and bread, but I have THE bread of life to give me peace, no matter what comes my way.

Discontentment . . . you can have no place in my heart today!!!


photos courtesy of pixabay.com

2 comments:

  1. Discontentment is as sly as the enemy. Love the metaphor of the girl on her white vintage bike. Great post, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy. That scene really got to me quick! Thank goodness I recovered!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete